The site for early MacBook Pro issues

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > LETTER TO APPLE REGENT STREET LONDON

Denise Clark
Administrator

Hi All,

Heard back from Consumer direct, they advise sending a registered letter to the 'Seller'/retailer of my Macbook, this in my case is Apple, Regent Street London.

Here is a copy of my letter!

The Manager.

Apple Store,

Regent Street,

London

W1B 2EL

12th May 2010

The Sale of goods act 1979

Request for compensation. MacBook Pro Faulty, premature failure of the graphics card ATI X1600

To Whom it may concern

My MacBook Pro details.

macbook pro   Mac OS X (10.6.2)   2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB DDR2 SDRAM

Purchased from Apple Store, Regent Street, London on August 2nd 2006 (find enclosed copy of my receipt).   Purchase price £1699.00, Part number: MA681B/A, Serial number: W862506YWBJ

My Apple case complaint number is  151682938 - given to me on my first complaint phone call to Apple customer care on or about 9th February 2010.

My MacBook Pro's graphics card/motherboard failed after an upgrade of 'Kingston' 1GB RAM for Intel,  a new battery and loading on of the 'Snow Leopard Box Set' at an approved Apple repairer/retailer, (Western Computers Bristol). When I took  my MacBook for this upgrade on 18th January 2010 it was running perfectly.  When it failed  (over the following few days of use) I took it back to the repairer quickly, they said the failure was not anything they had done and that had the graphics card had failed.

My MacBook Pro is 3 years and 10 months old now and was 6 months out of guarantee when the graphics card failed. ( I purchased the 'Apple care').

I feel for a top of the range product to fail so prematurely, is appalling.

The approved Apple repairer (Western Computers Bristol) offered to replace the motherboard (the graphics card is part of the motherboard), for cost price and no charge for labour out of goodwill. ( Find enclosed computer generated job work sheet, this states clearly that the graphics card failed). The first newly fitted motherboard that Western Computers fitted failed within an hour while under heat testing ! There was a fault with it! As many people have noted on the Apple website forum ( "display anomalies") heat destroys the motherboard! Also after adding 'Snow Leopard' or a combination of the two, or many other causes, the graphics card/motherboard fails,

This means that the MacBook Pro I purchased in August 2006 is not of satisfactory quality.  The United Kingdom consumer law says-  

Faulty goods and sale of goods act 1979 (as amended).

states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: of a satisfactory quality; and fit for any purpose made known at the time of sale to the seller.

This legislation also states that the 'seller' not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

The law also says I have six years from the date of purchase to claim

damages for faulty goods.

This information comes from the 'Citizens Advice' and 'Consumer Direct'

I purchased my Macbook Pro from the Apple store in Regent Street , London , so they are the 'seller'.  

I feel I am entitled to a full refund on the cost of the motherboard I have recently had replaced, £ 343.34 and also, as this motherboard is only guaranteed for 90 days, I want further provisions from Apple ,for rectifying any further problems with the graphics card (which many other people with this problem have had to face, eg. the graphics card failing again).

Not only have I had to pay for a new mother board but the Apple customer service person Allan Couttes has been rude, unhelpful and derisory toward me, and has made this experience with my MacBook Pro much worse.

I emailed  [email protected] with a view to complaining further, they passed on my complaint letter to Christiane Bogdoll in Apple Executive Relations. She contacted me via email on 9th April 2010, I was able to speak to her on 19th April, she called me back on 20th April and said she had checked and there was nothing on the Apple 'system' showing I had a failed graphics card. She said she would check again (I provided her with my job number names and phone number she would need and call me back the next day, she did not call. I emailed her about a week later to get an update and she did not reply. I have heard nothing since, which is why I write to you now asking for compensation.

I am so disappointed in Apple for not owning up to this problem, there have been 714 posts on the Apple discussion website forum ("display anomalies") to date, complaining of the same thing! Many of those people including myself have had some of our posts taken off because we are drawing attention to the sad fact that Apple are being unhelpful and looking the other way over this matter! Not very democratic of Apple!

I have spent the last 3 and a half years promoting Apple because I have been so pleased with my Macbook, which by the way, has only been taken out of the house twice in all that time. I have never knocked or dropped it! I leave it in my study and have always used a proper laptop 'Griffin Stand' to keep it cool and treated it with respect.  

I'm so so disappointed in Apple as a company for no support over this.

Please, please get some decent customer service people into your company! And compensate where due!

I have been in contact with the TV program Watchdog over this issue. The daily papers will be next on my list as soon as the election business settles.

I'm sorry I have been driven to these measures to get compensation and the acknowledgement from Apple that there is indeed a serious problem with the early Macbook Pro that cannot be rectified by replacing the motherboard at exorbitant cost.

I feel a reasonable time for Apple to compensate me, at least the cost of the new motherboard £ 343.34, would be 31st May 2010. I look forward to hearing from Apple before this date.

Yours faithfully,

Denise Clark.  

May 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Denise Clark
Administrator

Well after this long letter I have heard nothing........I don't live in hope either! what bad bussiness practice, not to acknowledge my registered post letter!

My next move will be to check if I have insurance on the credit card that we purchased the macbook with, if I have then they may reimburse me. But I feel why the hell should they! D

July 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.